Monthly Archives: February 2014

no, it’s not the Easter bunny

IMG_1625Another custom made birthday order – this time for my niece, the “best” follower of this blog… No offence to all other but can any of you say that they have clicked on my site over 200 times, within an hour ? 🙂

So after a bit of research on here she wanted me to knit a soft toy for her 6th birthday – either a bunny or a guinea pig.

And after some browsing through ravelry patterns (not sure how much time and how many clicks there) she chose Henry’s rabbit by Sarah Elizabeth Kellner in white with some flowers on the side as seen in one of the featured examples.

After such a careful decision making the pressure was clearly on …

The original pattern only has two legs in front but I decided last minute to add two more.

original Henry pattern

original Henry pattern

 

I think that makes more sense for a child who will be playing with it rather than just enjoying the look of it.

four legged Henry

four legged Henry

And after another careful decision making, this time by me, I decided to refresh my crochet skills and to actually crochet the flowers rather than embroider them.

I found this tutorial (in German) and as I did not remember the crochet vocabulary at all, I had to follow the video tutorial which made things really easy.

So, now the finished bunny has a few flowers on its side and will hopefully meet the expectations.

IMG_1632

I think I will be using some of these flowers to decorate our window when I come back from my holiday in Austria (with loooots of yarn in my suitcase).

 

Phew!

I have finally knitted something where I had to use my brain a little bit (really only a  little bit) and I really struggled….. I am clearly not used to it any more. I guess I need some brain exercise and what would be better than knitting!

Anyway, so I made a Life on Sundays by Veera Vaelimaeki using some DyeForYarn Merino/Silk. It is a striped triangular scarf with slipped and twisted stitches.

It is a beautiful pattern but it really took me a while, a few ripped rows and a few stitches that needed to be dropped in order to fix something. And at some point, I had actually a “disappeared stitch”. That was really a new experience for me and it took me ages to find where it had gone as there was no obvious hole.

I guess I have learned a few (obvious) lessons from this project.

If you are winding yarn into balls and then keep them for months before knitting, keep the ball bands as you might start a project using two different weights of yarn 🙂

Think before you start. Choose the right colour as main/contrasting colour. Thin stripes with very contrasting colours might actually not look that good from further away especially if it is a rather loose knit.

If you are using a new pattern, don’t knit while your children want to play with you. Especially not if it is something with many stitches on the needle.

Anyway, it was a very nice project and I am definitely going to use the pattern again. as usual, this one is not even made for me….

And one of my next projects will definitely be something for MEEEEE. Except that I need to make a few other things first….