Yes, I said “crochet”.
I thought my flower window display is the perfect opportunity to brush up my crochet skills dating from primary school days. And since I was unable to knit the beautiful Gerbera on oddknit I looked for a crochet pattern and found lovely flower patterns on the Meli Bondre blog and because of the rather deadly combination of crochet skills dating from primary school and trying to understand a pattern in a foreign language, I looked up all the strange letter combinations in Cherry Hearts Crochet Corner, an incredibly useful and also pretty site for anybody who wants to know about crochet with great tutorials to all sort of crochet stitches.
But back the Octopus – tutorial:
Choose a Gerbera pattern, ignore completely yarn and hook suggestions, take the one hook that you have and ideally too thick yarn for that hook.
Don’t bother counting the stitches when creating the inner circle. It is late and the yarn is dark. It will be roughly enough.
Continue until there is no more space to add any more
petals legs. I know, from a marine biologist point of view, an octopus should have rather 8 legs (and probably that same marine biologist would not necessarily call them legs) rather than a good 30 but the crocheted octopus looks good with that many legs or arms or whatever.
(As my daughter has pointed out, it clearly isn’t an octopus because it doesn’t have eyes.)
If you like it but still want to crochet a Gerbera, just do the same again, maybe with different yarn, but don’t be surprised to get another octopus.
The octopus tutorial finishes here.
After a bit of ironing the seafood actually turns into something more flowery
but size wise they are not quite at the same scale than my lovely knitted roses and tulips.
A little overpowering I guess and not recognisable as Gerberas next to the smaller flowers, maybe weirdly dyed sunflowers? But then it helped a lot to make the bouquet much fuller quickly. And they work well to attract views from further away which was the point of the whole window display anyway.
Just a quick picturesque update on the window yarn bombing. Somehow I am not as quick as I thought, slowed down by all sorts of things, visitors staying, possible bronchitis in combination with stiff neck, children refusing both to cook or going to nursery by themselves,….
Anyway, there is still lots to do but this is how far I got:
I put the vase up first and left it empty for a couple of days so people passing and eventually noticing it could wonder what on earth that thing would mean.
The initial plan was to add one or two flowers each day but as I said, I am producing them much slower and I am nowhere near the end. There is still lots of space for more….
And as my daughter suggested, there should also be a bee and maybe a butterfly. I really like that idea and will definitely add them.
Some of the flower pattern I found at oddknits, others are variations of something that I had seen in a book ages ago.
I also want to pick up crochet again and add some crocheted flowers, so far only some of the stems and leaves are. I kind of used the tutorial at the twisted yarn but without actually knowing English crochet vocabulary … so I might have gotten it totally wrong. They still look like leaves though.
I am very pleased with it so far, and I hope it cheers up people who pass, especially those who continuously mistake our house for the dentist next door 🙂
but considering the slow pace I wonder if I will ever get to do the two other, much bigger, windows.
Window bombing is progressing slowly and my initial plan of step-by-step revelation has changed this morning when I saw the display against the sun and through the white blinds.
So you’ll have to wait a little longer to see the other side of it 🙂
And for all those who are more interested in the football world cup than knitting (thanks for following the blog anyway 🙂 ), a piece of Football – Sachertorte for you. Enjoy.
It turns out to be the perfect breakfast if you want overexcited children on a sugar high.
But now lets go and enjoy this sunny sunday.
First of all, good news: I have finally managed to create something without any major mistakes.
I made a “rainbow skirt” for my niece and as the first attempt turned out pretty good, just with minor imperfections, I gave it to my begging daughter and made another one for my nieces third birthday, luckily with even less mistakes 🙂
It looks really nice and cheerful, the white rickrack links the coloured panels beautifully. It is almost a complete circle, and with a white underskirt really fluffy and comfortable. And the elastic waistband makes it not only super easy to put on by an independent 3 year old but it is also flexible enough to be worn for a long time. I almost want one for myself 🙂
But back to knitting. A couple of months ago, I was talking about yarn bombing being a big dream and that – being lazy and cowardly – I might start small by yarn bombing the windows.
And I have finally started…
to be continued…