I promised I will be back soon, so “Hello everybody”
Lately, I keep wearing the same 5 tops over and over again, they all have an elasticated hem. I just find this style comfortable but also
hiding my wobbly tummy without making me look pregnant when I am actually not flattering.
All of those shirts have now holes and it has become rather embarrassing to still wear them so it was time to get new ones. Only problem is that this particular style does not seem to be in fashion anymore as I really couldn’t find them anywhere. During those 10 min of online research.
So I decided to make my own pattern using one of these almost fallen apart T-shirts and dismantled it by carefully cutting along the seams.
Next, I folded the back and front piece in half in order to copy them. But look:
Note how I cleverly placed a news paper and some lego in the picture to illustrate how I do this creative stuff in between some smart reading and some mum’s work.
Those parts are nowhere near symmetric! I could as well just freestyle a pattern without using any measurements!
I was a little bit annoyed and decided to make a Usedom by Schnittreif first.
I have made two in the past here and here, both with cuffs, this time I made a more summery version with 3/4 length sleeves. I have used a fabric which I have bought years ago thinking it would be a beautiful wrap style dress. I have finally given up on that idea and found the perfect use for it.
In the end I chose the Amy pattern by pattydoo as a starting point and adapted it slightly for my purpose. It is a pattern for a loose and long Raglan shirt for stretchy but slightly heavier material like sweat or heavier jersey.
My first trial was too big for the thin material I intended to use so I went down a size, still using a fabric that I had once bought cheaply at the beginning of my jersey adventure. I am not keen on the pattern anymore, maybe for a dress but it is not ideal for a top.
I kept the top of the initial pattern to make sure I would have matching armhole and sleeve but I made short sleeves, initially just with a turned hem but then I put an elastic in as well. I also shortened the top and added the elastic. I am pretty pleased with the result, although I do not like the pattern of the fabric anymore. Plus, I do not really like the neck line finishing. I think it is a bit too wide and maybe it would look better with a bias binding type of edge.
At this point, I had still two nice fabrics left to be used for shirts, although both slightly heavier jerseys than the one you have just seen. I was tempted to make contrasting sleeves as I always do for the kids but I do think it might look odd with this particular style. I had slight doubts if I should use heavier fabric for this size and style but gave it a go.
I think the neckline looks much better but as you can see, the heavier fabric doesn’t fall that nicely so it is not great with the elasticated hem. I should have tried a size bigger maybe. And I have noticed that even with the raglan sleeves, I still have the narrow shoulder problem. The seam between front and sleeve should be more inwards to be more balanced. It doesn’t matter with a patterned fabric. I guess you didn’t even notice but look here again:
In any case I am saving the last fabric for a normal Amy, maybe with long sleeves in contrasting colour 🙂 and definitely by adjusting the sleeve – front/back line.
So, now that I have three holefree shirts for my wardrobe it is time to really throw away anything unsuitable. And maybe make another two or three, maybe in slightly more neutral colours. Oh well, who am I kidding, maybe something in plain colours.
Off to RUMS for now to share with other busy bees what I have been up to.