I have finished the very colourful dungarees for my son yesterday.
He had been very interested in the whole sewing process and found the fabric pretty but when I asked him if he would like to put them on, he said – with a little wave of his hand – “no thank you”. Well I guess, at least he is a very polite young man 🙂
Anyway, after all those pretty skirts and dresses for my daughter, I had to try to make something pretty for him too and I can tick this one off my list.
Today and tomorrow will be all about baking (apart from updating my shop). The dough for the gingerbread is already in the fridge, and the finished nuts triangles fill the house with a beautiful smell.
Today will be all about sewing. My son is always jealous of my daughters colourful dresses and skirts and I have to admit I have been sewing and knitting much more things for her than for him.
So I will be making him dungarees out of the most colourful corduroy I could find in the fabric shops in Shepherds Bush. It was not easy, there is really not much for boys.
I am using a pattern from farbenmix . They have beautiful things there, patterns from independent designers with lots of support on their website, ribbons,…
I have recently started a sewing class on Thursdays where you sew your own project and the teacher will support you with whatever you need. I have already prepared a bit at home to get as much as possible done in the class.
And hopefully my son will be happy with it. Oh and guess what, my daughter has already announced that she wants dungerees as well… just to be fair 🙂
…. I knitted a cushion cover, wrote down the pattern, lost the pattern, knitted an other one, wrote down the pattern, knitted two more, lost the pattern again, bought matching fabric and zips and got the sewing machine out of its bag.
But then there was never really time to actually sew them together or more urgent things to sew. I can easily knit with children around but the sewing machine with its sharp and fast moving needle is a different matter.
But last weekend I could finally finish them and here they are…..
I have used mercerized cotton, so the knitted part has very clear lines, strong colours and is a bit shiny. Which goes extremely well with a contrasting background. I am really pleased with them. I chose burgundy as a less contrasting colour for the back this time (In the past I usually used the background fabric for the back as well – nice look too)
front and back
I have done another one as well, with Sirdar Smiley Stripes. It’s a bamboo-wool-blend and is actually very soft. As the yarn is multicoloured in itself, I chose a light blue background as a bold background is rather disturbing in my opinion.
It is knitted in garter stitch diagonally from corner to corner with an eyelet square to break those diagonal lines.
I really like diagonal knitting. It is perfect when you want to avoid the gauge swatching and calculating at the beginning. And I do like the look of it too.
So now that those cushion covers are knitted, I will only have to put them in my etsy-shop and also get those patterns finally typed up and on to ravelry. I guess, it won’t take me longer than a couple of weeks to get that done.
Posted in home, Uncategorized
Tagged cotton, craft, cushion, diagonal, eyelet, Knitting, lace, pattern, ravelry, sew